Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This is My First Post!

Two weeks ago I put in my notice at ABC Corp. (not the real name of the place I've worked at for the past 4+ years). I decided to put in my notice on a Monday after our group meeting, but that morning had a serious case of the jitters. I had no idea how my boss would react. Right before I went into her office I called my husband looking for reassurance. He told reminded me I was making the right decision, and that we had a plan for whatever the outcome might be. Even if my boss told me to pack up and leave immediately everything was going to be OK. This was what I wanted. I had wanted it for a long time, but had never pursued the opportunity until now. 

After my mini pep-talk I was ready. The night before I had prepared three letters. One for my Team Leader, one for my Project Manager, and one for my Group Manager. I approached my Team Leader and said as I handed her my letter, "Do you have a minute? I have something that I need to deliver to you." We then walked into her office and I explained. It went something like this: 

I have decided to put in my notice here at ABC and become a teacher. This is what I feel I am meant to do. Recently I was accepted into an alternative teacher certification program called Transition to Teaching. The program is a federally funded grant program designed to recruit math and science teachers to "high needs" schools. I have already completed the online portion of the program and the face to face classroom instruction will begin in two weeks. The classes meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The program is designed so that most people with normal jobs can complete the training and work at the same time. However, since my job has a travel component I will no longer be able to fulfill all of my responsibilities at ABC. Therefore I must submit my two weeks notice, unless we can come to another scheduling agreement. 

While I was telling this to my boss she was nodding and smiling. Telling me, "Congratulations. I am so happy for you! We need more good science teachers!"

At first, her response was confusing to me. I did not know what to expect. Of all the possible scenarios that had run through my head - a positive reaction was not one of them. I have a tendency to imagine to worst. I over-analyze situations. I should know by now that things are never as bad as I think they are.

I admitted to my boss that I was surprised by her reaction. She said, "How did you think I would react. Of course I'm happy for you." I told her, "I thought you might be angry." She said, "No, I'm sad because we'll miss you. But also happy!"

Then I proposed working part-time for the duration of my training. The program runs from March 12th through August. My boss nodded adamantly, saying "Yes, of course we can work something out."

Next I asked her if she could pass one of my letters on to my Group Manager because I didn't feel comfortable giving it to him myself. I said to my boss that I would like to deliver the news to my Project Manager. My boss replied, "Aww. Jenny's going to be devastated." Her reply surprised me. My Project Manager and I have not always had a good relationship. 

I swiftly entered Jenny's office placed the letter on her desk, sat down as I prepared for a lengthy discussion, and said. "I've put in my notice."

"Nooo..." she sadly moaned. My Project Manager then sat in silence as I explained where I was going and what I would be doing. While I was describing the details I could see she was tearing up. This reaction baffled me. I thought for sure she hated me! After that she told me "Congratulations! That's great you're doing something you want to do. I'm happy for you... " We talked for a while longer. At one point she said, "I think I might cry," and "Wow. I hate it here already, but now that you're leaving I'm going to hate it even more." 

All of this was a shock to me. I really thought after I delivered my news my bosses would be angry and resentful for investing so much time in me just to see me leave them and a lot of those skills behind. I thought they would only be concerned about their next move, and how my leaving would impact the rest of the group. Instead, as I told them I would like to help make the transition as smooth as possible, they responded with approval. We all agreed to work together. 

Breaking the news was not as difficult as I thought it would be! Everyone has been very supportive. This leaves me feeling reassured that the decision I made was the right one. I am leaving my job to become a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment