Saturday, March 21, 2009

My First Classroom Observation

The alternative teacher certification program I am participating in is called Transition to Teaching. From here on out I will refer to it as TTT. Once I complete the program I will be certified to teach science grades 8 through 12. One program requirement is that I observe 4 classrooms and interview 2 teachers. 

My first classroom observation took place on Wednesday March 11th. I went to Connally High School in Pflugerville ISD and observed Ms. K's (full name not used) first period class. This period Ms. K teaches Pre-AP chemistry. 

At 8:45 a.m. I entered the school. The hallways were crowded and students who were conversing as long as possible before heading to their first class of the day. The school appears to be composed mostly of minorities. My first impression of the school was that it looked a lot newer and nicer than the high school I went to. I remember my high school was brick, with white paint. Old and very plain. This school was colorful - teal and purple colors lined the hallway. I signed in at the front office which was very busy with kids handing in doctors notes and absentee notes from parents. I got directions and headed up the stairs to Ms. K's. The students didn't pay any attention to me, even though I'm sure they recognized I was older and wasn't dressed like a teacher. When I reached Ms. K's classroom she was busy listening to a student complain about another teacher as she straightened her room. She acknowledged my presence, but most of her attention was focused elsewhere. Apparently the student was in her first period class, but would be spending the day in ISS (In School Suspension). 

When the student left she shook my hand and told me where I could sit. I found a desk in the very back of the room. Students slowly began to trickle into the classroom as I proceeded to make myself a fly on the wall.

The class was very small. Only 10 students. As the students were getting situated, I tried to take in as much of my surroundings as possible. The classroom was very organized! On the right side of the room wire bins contained spiral bound notebooks labeled with each period, each in a different color. Above the bins were cabinets lined with pictures of scientists. At the front of the room near the door the classroom rules were clearly displayed. The poster board read:
Carefully Consider Choices. The left side of the board listed "Rewards," and the right "Consequences." At the front of the classroom was a long lab bench containing a sink, and a dry erase board behind it. The back of the room contained six or eight lab benches and a chalk board on the back wall. This is also where the students could find their grades posted. Throughout the room Ms. K had posters promoting safe laboratory behavior. 

I can't wait to decorate my classroom!

Today was Sarah's birthday. "Would you like to sing Candice?" asks Ms. K. I didn't know what she meant at first. Then a student, presumably Candice, rose from her chair, walked across the room, and faced another student. Then she broke out into song. She beautifully sang Happy Birthday to Sarah. What a fun way to begin class - I thought! 

After that class began promptly. Ms. K had an activity on the overhead projector. The students knew exactly what they were supposed to do. They had to perform a TAKS warm-up. Quickly the students reviewed mean, middle, mode and range. Then they had to answer a few questions regarding a set of data. Ms. K took the activity a step further and posed to students: Why do scientists use computers to analyze large sets of data?

Ms. K is a small women, but she radiates respect and authority. She directs the classroom with ease. Part of this may be because the class is very small. The students are all engaged, and they all participate. Even if they do not know the correct answers they are not afraid to participate. I thought - this is great! She made it look so easy. I also liked how the students learned. They learned by Ms. K asking them a series of questions that led them to the answer. She was like a director conducting a group of musicians. I know a lot of preparation must have gone into Ms. K's lesson, but she made it look like the students were doing all of the work. It helps too that these students were very well behaved. 

After the TAKS warm-up Ms. K tells the students today we will be learning percent composition and there will be a 5 question quiz on Friday. I liked how Ms. K clearly outlined what would be on the day's agenda. 

First Ms. K reviewed what they discussed yesterday concerning percent composition. The students pulled out a worksheet that had started the day before. Ms. K asked them to determine the percent composition of KMnO4. She complimented a student after giving the correct answer, "I love how you used the chemical name rather than spelling the letters."

Ms. K uses various tools about the classroom - both the overhead and the dry erase board. She speaks respectfully to the students using "Yes mam," when asked a question. Ms. K is good about reiterating important concepts to reinforce learning. 

We worked several more problems on the work sheet. Ms. K gave some good examples as to why it is important to learn percent composition. She gave an example of a miner who wanted to know how much iron and aluminum was present in a rock sample to determine if it was worth mining in that location. 

Ms. K communicates clearly. She repeats concepts several times in different ways. She asks students questions to gauge the students understanding.

Next Ms. K introduced the class to Empirical Formulas. She defined it as a formula that is determined experimentally and has the simplest ratio of atoms in a compound. Then she gave the students a poem to memorize how to solve for the empirical formula:

"Percent to mass
Mass to mole
Divide by small
Multiply 'til whole"

I loved this lesson! We worked several problems and Ms. K was sure to include an example of why empirical formulas were important and how it could be used in a real world situation. 

I enjoyed observing Ms. K's class and I left feeling optimistic about teaching! She made it look easy. I know Ms. K is not new to teaching, but I felt like I could do that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment